The Canoeists code, is intended to help people enjoy the river without reducing the enjoyment of others or damaging the environment. It is expected that canoeists follow the code on all river trips.
Care for Wildlife
• Avoid disturbing nesting birds along the river banks, particularly in spring time.
• Avoid damaging beds of waterweed.
• Stop your activity if you are clearly disturbing wildlife.
• Use the river in a safe fashion and ensure that you have the appropriate safety equipment.
• Ensure that any groups of young novice boaters are led by suitably experienced responsible persons – preferably a qualified instructor.
• Don’t drink alcohol during and just prior to your trip on the river.
• Follow instructions given to you by your canoe hire operator and/or group leader.
Help Keep a Healthy River
• Take your rubbish away with you.
• Avoid damage to banks, the riverbed and bank side vegetation - this can lead to erosion. You can help by only launching and landing at purpose made launch points.
• Avoid dragging boats and equipment over rock slabs and stones.
Be Fishing Friendly
• Pass anglers with as little noise and disturbance as possible.
• Keep away from banks being fished and fishing tackle.
• Avoid loitering in pools if anyone is fishing.
• Comply with reasonable directional requests.
Consider Other People
• Park sensibly without causing obstruction, do not block gateways or load and unload vehicles in awkward places.
• Keep noise to a minimum.
• Get changed out of public view.
• Whenever possible come ashore at recognised landing places; do not trespass on private property or moorings.
For more details about the Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre